Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Saying Goodbye to a Grandparent through Prayer

My grandmother battled alzheimers and dementia for the last few years of her earthly life. I missed her adventurous spirit and amazing stories. She was one of the most independent women I have ever met, and I am more like her in many ways than I am like my own mother.

When her body finally gave up on this world, I was devastated by our loss of such an amazingly strong woman, but thankful that she was no longer suffering from the pain and anguish of a human body that had given up control to awful diseases that stole her fighting will to live her own independent life.

My grandmother was a very strong and devoted Christian, who wrote out many devotions and reflections on her faith.

I want to carry on that legacy, and write here about my faith and  praying through all that life throws at me.

Grandma Joan, this is for you!

"None of us lives for oneself, and no one dies for oneself. For if we live, we live for the Lord, and if we die, we die for the Lord; so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For this is why Christ died and came to life, that he might be Lord of both the dead and the living. For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written: "As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bend before me, and every tongue shall give praise to God." So (then) each of us shall give an account of himself (to God)."
Romans 14:7-9, 10-11

"Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David: such is my gospel, for which I am suffering, even to the point of chains, like a criminal. But the word of God is not chained. Therefore, I bear with everything for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, together with eternal glory. This saying is trustworthy: If we have died with him we shall also live with him; if we persevere we shall also reign with him. But if we deny him he will deny us. If we are unfaithful he remains faithful, for he cannot deny himself."
2 Timothy 2:8-13

"My soul is deprived of peace, I have forgotten what happiness is; I tell myself my future is lost, all that I hoped for from the Lord. The thought of my homeless poverty is wormwood and gall; Remembering it over and over leaves my soul downcast within me. But I will call this to mind, as my reason to have hope: The favors of the Lord are not exhausted, his mercies are not spent; They are renewed each morning, so great is his faithfulness. My portion is the Lord, says my soul; therefore will I hope in him. Good is the Lord to one who waits for him, to the soul that seeks him; It is good to hope in silence for the saving help of the Lord."
Lamentations 3:17-26

No comments:

Post a Comment