Friday, October 29, 2010

Giving = loving

“If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity
on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with
words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” — 1 John 3:17,18

In my bible studies I keep feeling the Lord call to me about the material things we have and so many people believe they need. I look at how our modern society has it so much easier than those who lived before our modern conveniences, and marvel at the fact that so many people take running water, inexpensive meal options from a grocery store, and things like cell phones for granted.

Our society has become so overwhelmingly focused on the material things in our lives. There are so many families who feel the "need" to have newer cars, homes that are bigger and newer, cell phones that access the internet and do everything else imaginable for such a small device.

I think of Sarah, Abraham's wife, and how she was asked to ""Quick," he said, "get three seahs of fine flour and knead it and bake some bread," and prepare a feast for the visitors God sent to them.

If my husband hurried in to let me know that God had sent divine visitors to dine with us, I would panic! But, then I should not have to panic. I can look in my pantry for flour, and the other items I would need to make some bread. The flour would be there, the eggs would be in the refrigerator, and the recipe a quick search on the internet away.

Think of Sarah. When Abraham asked her to "Quick...make some bread", she had to go out into the field, get some wheat, make the "seahs" of fine flour by herself, and find the rest of the ingredients without the ease of a grocery store. She had to knead the dough, and prepare the entire meal without the convenience of a microwave, refrigerator, or modern oven.

Wow!

I had my children roast hot dogs over the fire in our fireplace last week.
We talked about our ancestors who had to cook every single meal in this fashion. The kids were in awe! They could not imagine the world without our modern appliances and conveniences.

I wonder how I will teach my children to appreciate all of the wonderful time-saving devices we have today, while hoping they learn to see them as blessings with which we can honor our Lord and God?

I hear people talk that they could not live without their cell phone, or that they do not know how to cook, and rely on restaurants or pre-packaged food for their meals.

How would these people fare if they took Jesus' words to heart, and gave away all of our worldly possessions to the poor, and lived a simple life, honoring God with every choice and action?

As a recovering borderline hoarder, I see all of the excess in my home.
I am taking Jesus' words as a challenge to give away the things we do not need - which is almost everything in this house!

I pity those who value their worldly possessions above God's love.
They do not consider those possessions as gifts from our awesome Creator, to be used in His honor.

Enjoy the many, some very small, blessings that God has given you...and give Glory to God!


"Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God." Ecclesiastes 5:19

"God gives a man wealth, possessions and honor, so that he lacks nothing his heart desires, but God does not enable him to enjoy them, and a stranger enjoys them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil." Ecclesiastes 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment