Monday, September 6, 2010

Discipline + Youth = Patience

As my two-year old threw two temper tantrums at the mall today, I have been looking to my bible for reinforcement of how to respond to him in the future.

"Rejoice, O young man, in your youth; and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth, and walk in the ways of your heart, and in the sight of your eyes: but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment." Ecclesiastes 11:9

We all do things that we know are not right. Unfortunately, we all sin. My children all test my patience, disobey, and sin as well. Teaching them right from wrong is tricky. They ignore the warnings, and continue to do what they should know is wrong.

Discipline is ever difficult, and I know that others judge my parenting style. I take comfort in knowing that whether they agree with my manner of discipline or not does not matter. The only judgment that matters comes from the Lord.

I am thankful that my children, in their youth, can make mistakes, and walk in the ways of their hearts, and still be God's children. He forgives, and teaches us to walk in His ways.


MY PRAYER:
Dear Lord, I pray that you will guide me as a parent, to walk my children down the paths You have laid out before them. Thank You for showing me that they are young, and they are Yours. I do not have to worry about whether or not they will be accepted into Your kingdom. They will - for in their youth they are to rejoice and experience life.

Help me, Lord, to react with joy and patience, as my children learn and grow. Help me to remember that they need naps (Oh, do they need their naps) and that my adult schedule needs to be structured around their little bodies.

Most of all, Lord, I pray for patience.

In Jesus' Name,
AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment