Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Trying Something NEW - NOT Yelling at Kids

The Lord gave my my children, because He KNOWS I am the BEST mommy for them - and they are the best kids for me.

I have found myself yelling at my beautiful children WAY TOO MUCH lately!

So, I have decided to try something new...NOT YELLING!

This is much easier said than done, when my three wonderful children don't listen, or ignore me, and prove to be playing instead of doing what their mother has asked of them.

Kids are supposed to play. I am thankful they do not have the same priorities I have as an adult. They are innocent, and beautiful in their play. For this reason, and the fact that I was very sick of yelling at them every time we needed to leave the house, I have just stopped yelling at them.

I sat all three of the kids down, and explained to them that I will let them know when it is time to leave by telling them to put their coats and shoes on and get in the van. I will then proceed to put on my own coat and shoes, and actually just get in the car.

My first attempt proved to bring on the tears in my middle child, and made my youngest scream because he thought I forgot him!
It took them almost 18 minutes to get in the car, and then I reminded them of my new approach - that I would not yell, but would tell them to get in the car, and then I would wait.

It was exhausting for all of us!

Subsequent attempts have proven much more positive.
They actually move toward the car faster, sometimes with whining, but they do it!
And I don't yell!!
Hopefully we will continue to see improvements!

Lord, I pray that you give me the patience to wait for my children, and the peace to not yell at them. Thank you for allowing me to give them choices and control over things that matter to them, but won't cause any trouble for me." AMEN

"[Praise to the LORD] LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago." Isaiah 25:1

No comments:

Post a Comment