Friday, March 8, 2013

"Oz The Great And Powerful" Review

I had very mixed feelings about the prospect of a "prequel" to "The Wizard of Oz" - which is one of my favorite movies.
I figured nothing could top it!

I must admit that I was wrong!
"Oz The Great and Powerful" is a fantastic movie, full of artistic liberty that stays true to the original spirit of Oz!

The film is rated PG - and I strongly suggest to all parents they use caution when taking their small children to view this movie. It is dark, and much scarier than the original "Wizard of Oz", and I would not take my 6-year-old son to see it. My 9-year-old daughter could handle it without a problem, but my younger boys would be too scared of the flying monkeys, as well as other aspects of the film.

That being said, the special effects were amazing, the acting spectacular, and the representation of the spirit of The Wizard Of Oz, as a legendary film, is truly captured in "Oz The Great and Powerful". The story line, characters, and artistic representation of set and background stayed true to the original ideas. I found myself really believing that this was what happened BEFORE Dorothy landed in Oz.

Enjoy this fun interview, and then head to your local theatre to experience "Oz The Great and Powerful" for yourself!

As a Christian parent, I truly believe that instilling a strong sense of imagination in our children is important. This film provides the perfect opportunity to discuss reality vs. fiction, and human power versus the Power of God.

I pray that you will be able to enjoy the artistic fiction in this film, while remembering how much God has blessed us with the depiction of our world through the masterful eyes and works of the filmmakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment