Friday, October 26, 2012

Angry Mommy ~ Praying for Patience

My poor little four-year-old is in a screaming stage.
I am at my wits' end!
I really don't know what to do with him!!
There. I said it.

Okay, it has been a really rough week. I love my son. He is my baby, but he has really been acting like just that. A BABY!!

Screaming fits, even in public.
This week I have been that humiliated mommy, who walks out of the store, with her screaming preschooler following a distance behind.
People stare, and I really don't care what they think.
I do, however, care what I am teaching my son through my reactions to his behavior.

I don't know what's causing these tantrums, or the fact that he is inconsolable. Normally he is easy to reason with, and can be easily distracted, as most four-year-olds can be.

I have resorted to throwing him over my shoulder, carrying him to his bed, and spanking him!

Yes, I spank him!

There are so many other things I could do, but spanking seems to be the ONLY thing that's getting through to him!
My other children responded well to other consequences.
My baby is not responding well to any consequences, other than spanking, and being put in bed.

Daddy and I are suffering too. We went out for dinner on Wednesday night, and the baby had a melt down, and refused to go use the bathroom, even though he was doing the potty dance. He had already thrown a screaming fit for me earlier in the day. Daddy graciously took him outside to remove him from the audience he so loves, and talk some sense with him.
Daddy and baby ended up in the car for the entire time the rest of the family was eating dinner.

Daddy heated up his food when we got home, while I put the kids to bed. Baby didn't eat at all.

Boy, was he HUNGRY the next morning!

Dear Lord,
Please grant me the patience I need to teach my baby boy how to communicate his disappointment, fears, sadness, and other negative feelings in a healthy way. Please help me to respond appropriately when he chooses to scream or disobey. Help me, Lord, to remember that You planned this child to be mine, and that I am the best mother for him, according to Your plan! Direct my heart, Lord, as I guide my son to be the big boy that You have planned for him to be! AMEN

"With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love..." Ephesians 4:2

"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit." Ecclesiastes 7:8

"Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the bosom of fools." Ecclesiastes 7:9

"For you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment