Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Thursday ~ Extended Family

Today I am very thankful for my extended family.
I married into a family one generation off from my own.
In other words, my grandmother graduated from high school with my mother-in-law. So, my uncles and aunts are the ages of my sister-in-laws.
When I met my husband, he told me he was the youngest of 5, and the only boy! Yikes! How was I to fit in with 4 older sisters??
I am the oldest of 4. Opposites attract for sure! I am a typical oldest child, a pleaser, and perfectionist in many things. I have always been sure of myself, and never questioned that I could accomplish anything I put my mind to.
My husband is more of an only-child and baby combined. He's the only boy, and the youngest. We really do but heads sometimes, since we are both very stubborn. But, I don't have to worry about his family accepting me, like I had originally anticipated.

I have wonderful in-laws! They are all very accepting and gracious. They bless our family, as I had always hoped they would! I can count on my mother-in-law and sister-in-law who live nearby to babysit my kids every once in a while. Today, for instance, my youngest will spend the day with my sister-in-law, so I can indulge in a movie marathon with my girlfriends! My nieces will babysit my older two children when they get home from school. What a blessing!

My mom and sister also help out in these ways, and we all get together often!

I pray that all families can look past their differences, to bless each other and be kind to one another in all they do.

"Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord." Colossians 3:20

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Let the house of Aaron say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Let those who fear the Lord say, “His steadfast love endures forever.” Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free." Psalm 118:1-18

No comments:

Post a Comment